FCS JW-1. Julian Wilson Signature Fin OVERVIEW
• Medium size fin designed for Julian Wilson
• Template based on the FCS G-5 and the FCS K2.1
• Smaller centre fin for easy tail release
• Performance Glass (PG) construction
• Ideal for beach breaks DEVELOPMENT
• Julian wanted a fin with the versatility of the FCS G-5 combined with the release and turning properties of the FCS K2.1.
• The FCS JW-1 was developed during the making of Julian’s profile movie ‘Scratching the Surface’.
• Long development period enabled Julian to fine-tune the template while surfing a variety of different waves. GEOMETRY
The FCS JW-1 side fin template is similar in many ways to the FCS G-5 template. In comparison the FCS JW-1 side fins have a slightly longer base, a more pronounced point on the tip of the fin, and they’re also marginally bigger in size. The centre fin has a very low sweep value of just 31º, and is almost 10% smaller in area compared to the side fins. PERFORMANCE
The FCS JW-1 is ideal for fast, radical surfing in punchy beach break conditions. Offering quick tail release due to the smaller centre fin, the FCS JW-1 is also great for performing airs, with an emphasis on rotation.
The low sweep value across all three fins, combined with the sharp leading edge and the flat foil on the side fins, allows surfers to turn in a very tight radius in the hollowest sections of the wave. Performance Glass construction also adds to the fins performance by providing a stiff base for acceleration and a subtle tip flex that provides and whipping sensation as the surfer transitions through a turn. CONSTRUCTION
While a variety of material combinations were tested during the development of the fin, Julian liked the stiffness and tip response of Performance Glass (PG) construction. Performance Glass fins are machine cut from panels of layered fiberglass. These fins have proven to have global appeal offering a stiff base and a subtle yet highly responsive tip flex. Performance Glass fins offer a similar feel to that of a traditional fixed fin. See the full fins specs for the JW-1